JORDANVILLE – Over 60 people attended the 43rd annual memorial service to commemorate the 228th anniversary of the Andrustown Massacre of July 18, 1778, at Hoyer Hill Cemetery, in Jordanville, Sunday, July 16. The seven original families of the Andrustown settlement, Crim, Osterhout, Hawyer, Bell, Starring, Frank and Lepper, were all remembered.
Following an invocation by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR), Henderson Chapter, NSDAR Chaplain Doris Getman and Regent M. Jean Mesick led all in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the national anthem.
Vice-Regent Jane Klump welcomed all and gave a report from the Hoyer Hill trustees, pointing out the various improvements to the cemetery and future plans for further improvements.
Klump introduced several Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) from the Oriskany Battle and Stone Arabia chapters and two ladies from the General Nicholas Herkimer chapter, NSDAR, which is merging with the Henderson Chapter. Roll call of the seven original families of the Andrustown settlement revealed several descendants attending.
Memorial wreaths were presented by Rev. Terry Sheldon, president of the Oriskany Battle chapter, SAR, and Sandra Brown and Irene Lew, from the General Nicholas Herkimer chapter.
Following introductions by Klump, Alan Sterling, chief of interpretations at the Herkimer Home Historic Site, spoke about the French and Indian War as it related to the sturdy Palatines and the Andrustown settlement.
Ken Schultz, from the Stone Arabia chapter, SAR, made a few remarks about a Revolutionary battle in South Carolina that was similar to those faced by the Third County Tryon Militia and Minutemen.
After the congregation sang “America the Beautiful,” members of the Third Country Tryon Militia and Minutemen fired their muskets in a closing ceremony.
Following the formal program, homemade cookies and punch were served and many strolled through the small, historic cemetery and enjoyed the views.