10 Years Ago – February 1999
The gastronomic tour of the French-speaking world at the Tryon Inn in Cherry Valley features the foods and wines of Languedoc and the Pyrenees in southwest France. A tasting dinner on March 4th will start with cabbage soup to be followed by an assortment of salads made from winter vegetables. Main courses will include casoulet (a hearty combination of white beans, confit of duck, garlic sausage and lamb – all simmered for hours with wine and broth), beef braised with merlot and olives, trout sautéed with bacon, and a vegetarian option. The cheese course features the blue cheeses for which the region is famous.
20 Years Ago – February 1989
Two wooden swans, which once graced the village of Richfield Springs reservoir on Route 20 have become water logged and may be replaced by the Richfield Springs Area Improvement Association (RAIA). The association will accept contributions to replace the large, life-like sculptures. The swans appear on RAIA’s logo which was created last year.
The February meeting of the Richfield Springs Garden Club was hosted by Mrs. Myron Jordan, assisted by Miss Becky Gretton and Mrs. Harold Cole. The new officers for 1989 are president, Mrs. Alex Shields; 1st vice president, Mrs. Henry Krobetsky; 2nd vice president, Mrs. Pannaci; secretary, Mrs. James Marzeski,and treasurer, Mrs. Richard Kinville. The theme for this year is “As we preserve our world, we enjoy its beauty.”
50 Years Ago – February 1959
Vincent J. Grilli, exalted ruler of the Herkimer Elks Lodge, has announced winners in the annual Youth Leadership Contest, sponsored by the lodge. Geraldine Robinson of Herkimer high school was the winner of the girl’s division and John Woytowich of the Richfield Springs Central School was the winner of the boy’s division. The judging was done on the basis of community leadership. The winners each receive a $50 Savings Bond when the Lodge observes May Day on May 1. They will also compete in the New York State Elks Association youth leadership contest where winners awarded a $100 savings bond.
60 Years Ago – February 1949
Construction crews of the New York Telephone Company have started work on a big program for extending and improving service in the Richfield Springs area, D.F. Parce, manager reported today. The work consists of placing 120 telephone poles, running twelve miles of cable and seven miles of open wire, and removal of trees displaced by the new construction. The work will be completed sometime next fall. The job will provide facilities to give service to about 40 people whose applications have been delayed because of equipment shortages. There will also be a reduction of the number of parties using any one rural line. Rural lines in the area now have an average of slightly more than eight parties per line. Following the construction there will not be more than eight parties on any one line and the average will be between six and seven.
75 Years Ago – February 1934
The ninetieth birthday anniversary of Mrs. Ann Proctor was observed at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Schrell, in Sylvan Street, on Saturday, February 17th. Neighbors made the day memorable for the venerable lady, giving her a surprise party in the afternoon. Present were Mrs. Clinton Hosford, Mrs. Warner, Mrs. Eychnaur, Mrs. Clark Druse, Mrs. Anna Druse, Mrs. Henry Moyer, Mrs. William Burns and Mrs. Bursch. Mrs. Proctor is well and active at her advanced age. On Saturday, she completed a rag rug of good size. Seven of her eight children are living and she has also 26 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren.
100 Years Ago – February 1909
The third annual ball of the Employees’ Mutual Benefit Association of the Oneonta and Mohawk Valley railroad was held Friday evening at Ayer’s Hall at Oaksville. The hall was crowded to its fullest capacity and a merry evening was passed by all present. Over 300 tickets were sold and with the proceeds of the sale of the articles donated by the public, the association will probably clear over $500, which will put the association on a substantial basis. The music was furnished for the occasion by Perkins’ Lady Orchestra of Ilion. The following articles were contributed by businessmen of the village: box of cigars, C.E. Goodale; sack of flour, H. Peckham; pair of rubbers, Guy Kinne & Son; pair of mittens, S.H. Conklin; box of candy, Rocco Curcio; two pounds coffee, J. Gordon Black.
Resources for this column have been provided courtesy of the New York State Historical Association Library.